Friday, December 10, 2010

Dia tres em Guija

So over the past three days I have been getting all settled into my new home. When I arrived I needed to purchase a bed frame and a mattress since my site is new. Purchasing the bed was funny because it wouldn’t all fit in the chapa so we had to strap it on the top of this mini bus and drive it to the house that I am staying in for a few weeks. Yea so I am staying with a volunteer that arrived last year and lives in my same town for the first few weeks because my house is not ready – she’s very nice and has been super helpful with getting settled in. So my house is not ready yet because Peace Corps has certain requirements for our houses before we can move in to ensure that we will be safe, such as bars and screens on the windows, good locks on the doors, etc. My house needs those things plus a new metal panel on the roof because I guess it leaks and a fresh coat of paint. There are also a ton of weeds in the yard so while I am waiting for those other things to get fixed I’ll be enxada-ing (hoe-ing) the yard and preparing for my own machamba (garden). My house is super cut on a very quaint quintal (yard) I have a ton of fruit trees – a papaya, banana, lemon, grape and a few mangoes, I think there might even be an avocado! I met a few of my neighbors yesterday and also went to my school and met most of the teachers – supposedly there are 34 of them for a school with more than 1000 students who come either in the morning, afternoon or evening. I am worried because there are so many names to remember and my brain is already hurting from trying to remember words in Portuguese, but oh well I’ll figure it out after some time. I am really excited because there are 4 other English teachers besides me and they all seem very nice (well the three I met yesterday are all very nice. The staff for the most part seems very young a number of the teachers have just recently finished university and this is their first time teaching. Okay so before I cut this entry off I have to tell about the baby crocodile I saw strapped to the back of this guys bike today while he was riding through town. Supposedly he caught it in the river that runs on the edge of my town (they seem to be spotted quite often - last week a guy’s arm was bit off by one!) and he was on his way to take it to the police station! Yea so that’s it for now.

1 comment:

  1. It sound like all peace corps team are getting settled in their specific palces.That is so nice to every body.I love what is going on.very soon i will say hallo to some one in the team to know how good everybody is doing.so happy x-mass and New year 2011.....

    ReplyDelete