Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Voce sabe nada

So my 3-year-old sister Junha is the cutest little dumpling that I have come to love and hate quite equally. Love because she has a smile that would melt you from the inside out and hate because temper tantrums by 3-year-olds five plus times a day are never pretty, but none-the-less I know I will miss her. Anyways the other day I was asked to give her a bath, which I have done before, but never in a bucket about the size of a small bathroom size wastebasket. (Sidenote: Junha hates taking baths and I sometimes am able to get her to take a bath by singing Beyonce’s Single Ladies and when we sing “put your hands up” I pull her shirt off to get her prepped for the bath) On top of the size of the bucket of water I had to bathe her in front of all 6 of the men who work at my homestay family’s house making bricks (they have a brick making business and a chapa business – don’t think I mentioned that before oh and chapa is the word for Toyota-van-taxis, the main type of transport here). Okay back to my story…so we were outside and I was trying to give Junha a bath and she was cold and insisted on trying to sit inside the bucket, which just wasn’t working because it was too small and each time she insisted on sitting down she would get dirty because we were using a bucket that had probably rolled around in the dirt before they decided to use it to bathe Junha – don’t ask me why. Yea so after she was all squeaky clean I picked her up and rushed her inside to dry her off and get her dressed. While jumping on her mom’s bed, I was trying to help her pick out her clothes. I began by asking her what color underwear she wanted and she told me “preto” (black) I pointed to one of the two black pairs hanging on the bed post and she told me “nao” (no) for both of the black pairs – eventually I figured out that she wanted “rosa” – the pick pair, but because she is 3 she doesn’t know her colors very well. After that we moved to to picking out her outfit…she wanted to wear a “saia” (skirt), but they were all dirty. Because I couldn’t pull out a skirt for her to wear, Junha decided to jump on the bed and chant “voce sabe nada, voce sabe nada…” (you know nothing, you know nothing…). I ironic thing is I understood everything. Basically the moral of the story is my Portuguese is slightly better than that of a 3-year-old Mozambican. Whoo-hoo!!! Parabens (Congratulations)!

No comments:

Post a Comment